Monday, December 15, 2014

The Christmas Cactus in Bloom


At best, the relationship I have with my houseplants can be charitably described as “benign neglect.” I remember to water them once in a while, which seems to be enough to keep them alive, but I think they secretly resent me in the way that only plants can.

At least I thought so until this week.

Working at my computer, I happened to glance over the top edge of the screen to see a little red bud peeking back at me. The Christmas cactus that Chris bought for me last year, and which has sat on the front corner of my desk all this time since, has started to blossom.

It’s a good thing cactuses like it dry because the Christmas cactus is the plant I benignly neglect the most. I hardly ever remember to water it. If it wasn’t for our housekeepers, Sandra and Luz, the poor thing might not ever get watered. Being on the far side of my computer, it provides a splash of green for anyone sitting across from my desk—but it’s totally out of my sight. And as the old saying goes, “Out of sight....”

But after a year-long slumber and the most cactus-like conditions, it’s waking up again.

The cactus knows it’s Christmas time.


No comments:

Post a Comment